Monday, December 1, 2014

Sideboard makeover. with DIY chalky paint recipe























This area in my kitchen was being used for a coffee station with extra storage for my tiny kitchen.  My daughter in law gave me the sideboard about a year ago and it fit here perfectly but it needed some colour to get rid of the dated look. 


















With some help from hubby we lifted it to my work table and  remove all the drawers and doors. I had no intentions of laying on the floor with a paint brush in hand  to paint the bottom edges. Maybe twenty years ago but not now.

















After a good wash to remove any grease  I got busy painting.  The great thing about my DIY chalky paint is not having to sand or strip before using it. It sticks to almost anything. This is the outside after the first coat. Luckily it only needed 2 coats because the paint has awesome coverage, even when using  a light colour over dark finishes.


















I painted the inside as well. I figured it would get a lot of use so painting the inside a lighter colour would make it easier to find things.   (And to be honest it will inspire me to keep it tidier as well :)
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Much better.

 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I took the handles off the doors and raised them off the work surface by setting them on a few plastic bowls.  I painted the hinges because I didn't want them to stand out.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I painted the body  with a lighter shade of the blue, by adding 1 part blue to 3 parts white.  I used the full tint blue for the top of the buffet, the door fronts and the shutters and shelf.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is the sideboard  all finished with  clear furniture paste wax to protect it.
 I always reuse the hardware as long as it's a complete set. 




 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I love these little glass jars I got at a yard sale.   And of course a chocolate and a vanilla candle will make everything smell awesome as well.
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
These tins were my grandmothers. The dark blue tin always had buttons in it and the light blue one still has a little label on the lid that says ribbons and bows.

.



 













And of course I love the old canning jars .




































This is what I finished with, a nice coffee bar storage area, just like I wanted.


This is my DIY Chalky Paint Recipe

Mix 1/4 quarter cup of Plaster of Paris (you can get small containers of this at the hardware store)

with 1/8 cup of water until smooth.

I put mine in a plastic container with a lid because it will keep for about a week if covered.

Next add about 1 cup of you wall paint and mix thoroughly. Any acrylic or latex paint will work but I use the cheap stuff. Stay away from paint and primer combo's

Now paint.  This will stick to any surface. I've even painted glass and metal with it and had good adhesion. 
If you are painting walls ie:panelling with this , just use it as you would a primer and then do your second coat of paint right from the can.  It works amazingly well.



I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.
 






No comments: