Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Barrel Shaped Side Table

I found this barrel shaped side table at a yard sale last summer and really couldn't  pass it by.  Some things just follow me home. Does that ever happen to you?
 
 
 
It has such beautiful details on the bottom edge and on the legs, as well as such pretty little feet.
 
 
 
 
The door has this great chicken wire detail along with just the perfect hardware.  I absolutely fell in love.  It went straight to my work room from the truck. All it needed was the perfect colour.
 
 
I started by removing the hardware and giving the whole piece inside and out a good wash with some vinegar and water.
 
I mixed one part of this gorgeous blue paint with three parts of white and made up my chalky paint mixture.
 
I painted the inside with the lighter blue. Have I said how much I love this colour.  Once the inside was dry I gave the outside, including the chicken wire, a coat of the lighter blue as well.  It's easy to paint the wire. just be sure to use a very dry brush to keep it from clumping up and dripping.
Once it was completely dry, about an hour, I gave it a second coat of paint.  The main part was the light blue mix, but  the door and top were painted with the original darker blue.
 
I finished it with some natural colour paste wax. I always use  Minwax furniture wax but I think any paste wax would do.
 
I used it's original hardware because the detail was so perfect.
 
 
 
What do you think?  Isn't it beautiful? 
 















Using 3 parts white with one part of the original colour makes it easy to do any piece in a two tone like this.  There is never any worry that the colours won't be a perfect match.





















This chalky paint takes the paste wax really well and buffs up to a nice soft shine.






 











This table didn't take long to find it's forever home.  I was a little sad to see it go, but  I imagine it being enjoyed for a few more generations instead of being landfill and that makes me happy.


I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Debbie you have such a great imagination and a eye for the finished product. I use to do these things and life got in the way. Perhaps I will start small and try something. You have inspired me. If you still have the plaque and the home sign I still want them but I know your about to have surgery.Maybe give me a call when your well enough for me to come if you have them. Shauna 705-286-3698