Monday, December 15, 2014

Salt Dough Ornaments

Salt dough ornaments are so easy to make that if you are a crafter at all you've probably made them at one time or another over the years.  Whenever I made them in the past I've used regular cookie cutters to cut out your standard Christmas shapes. Stars, bells, trees, and of course the ginger bread man. 

This year I wanted to do something different and found this little idea on pinterest. I typed in salt dough ornaments and there are tons of ideas and this idea came form mixing a variety of them together.  If you don't use pinterest I really think you should give it a browse.  The ideas are endless. You can follow my boards here where I keep the ones I really want to try some day. I might have to live to the age of 110 to get them all done though.

What started this project was a visit to the local Thrift Store where I found a variety of cut glass pieces very cheap. I got the lot $2.  Yep, only 25 cents each.  That's my kind of shopping.






































They all have cut glass bottoms and every one had a different pattern.  They kind of reminded me of snowflakes. Perfect to decorate traditional round ornaments.




















I mixed up a batch of salt dough using a standard recipe of 
1 cup salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup of water
and mixed it to a nice kneadable dough.  I rolled it out and cut rounds using a regular size mason jar ring.



















Then I stamped each round ornament using the patterns on the bottoms of the cut glass pieces. They really give these little ornaments their character. I put a little hole in each one using a regular drinking straw and dried them in a warm over about 175 deg. for about 3 hours.
























Then using this original chrome paint from Krylon I gave them all several coats of silver spray.  I like this paint because it doesn't smell as bad a some of the other metallic paints I have used and each light coat dries in about 15 minutes.



















Once they were shiny enough for me, about 3 or 4 light coats, I let them dry really well.  Then using some red and green yarn I tied each one with a little bow leaving a loop to hang.



















I 'm loving my little tomato cage tree and it is a perfect spot to display all my little DIY ornaments this year.



















My favorite pattern was this tree shape with its little star at the top. 

I'll definitely be watching for other cut glass patterns at yard sales and thrift stores from now on, How about you?

No comments: