Saturday, December 13, 2014

Tile and twine Wall Art.

I always have a huge stock of tiles. Different colours and sizes. Sometimes I have ceramic or porcelain and sometimes slate or marble ones. That's because my dear hubby is an installer and sometimes there are a few left over from a job.  I hate tossing things so I make him bring them home to me.  They are good for a lot of different things, and I like to stencil on some of them to make a little wall art.  Krylon makes a ton of different spray paints  and there is  one that is a paint and primer in one.  I have found that it will adhere to almost anything, and it works great on these tiles.  So here is a little project I did with a few porcelain tiles and some jute twine.
























I'm not going to give a big tutorial here because this was way to simple for that.  All I did was place a store bought stencil on each tile using a little spray adhesive to keep them form sliding around and gave them a spray with some black paint. I used three very light coats and let it dry about half an hour between sprays.  This keeps the paint from bleeding under the stencils like it will if you use one heavy coat.  These tiles are about 8x12" and make a nice bit of wall art.
To hang them I used  some jute twine wrapped around each end, leaving a little across the top to use for a hanger.
Like I said , it was almost too easy.

I like stenciled  tiles.  Here are a few larger 12x12" ones I've done .























These ones are a bit on the heavy side so I like to display them in a stand.  I usually  display  one or two on my kitchen counter, just leaned against the backsplash,  and because the tiles are so durable they can be used as trivets to protect the counters from hot pans. So I guess it's usable art.  Love it.
What do you think, could you use a few in your kitchen?

I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.

No comments: