Thursday, June 18, 2015

One piece... Three Projects. -part two - Desk to Tween Vanity

I few weeks ago I  updated a wash stand and had some left over pieces.  I wanted to show you how I use every single piece if I can and promised three projects from one piece. See the first project here.


 
That wash stand had a lovely little  tippy mirror on it that I couldn't use because a few of the spindle pieces couldn't be tightened enough.  However there was nothing wrong with the mirror itself so I wanted to find a new home for it. 

























I repaired and painted a turn of the century ladies writing desk and chair last year but couldn't sell it because it was just too small for a desk by todays standards.  There definitely wasn't enough room for a computer and all the stuff that goes with it.   

























This is how I married the two pieces together.   First I repainted the desk with a lovely soft white called Queen Annes Lace from BeautiTone .



















Then I painted all the pieces that held the mirror together.



















It's easier to scrape the paint off the mirror after it's dry than it is to tape it off.




















I printed this postage stamp photo and used tracing paper to transfer it to the desk top, and drilled two pilot holes for the mirror spindles. 




















At this point I did a dry fit to make sure everything was going to fit together.  You can see the fine lines where I traced my picture.



















I  hand painted the picture and when it was dry I lightly sanded and distressed to make it look like it had been there for a long time.



















Now I had to get rid of the blue inside.  It just wasn't right for a young lady's vanity.
























Ahh... much better. Things are starting to come together.

























I wanted to do something different with the seat so I found a bright pink bath mat on sale and used it to recover the seat. 



I painted the mason jars to add the finishing touch and I think I've created a vanity that any young lady would love.




























No comments: