Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A Black and White Table Makeover




















I purchased this little table at a yard sale for $3 .  It had an arborite top on it and the legs had been replaced with some home made ones but it was the very sturdy.  It looked like a miniature mid century kitchen table except the legs were wood instead of chrome.  It was first thing I ever painted with my DIY chalky paint about three years ago.  At the time I was really concerned about the paint adhering to the arborite surface but I went ahead and painted it anyway.



















I distressed the top corners a bit at the time (the black area is the original paint job) and as you can see, the paint had stood up fairly well.  There are a few more little dings in the paint but considering how I've used it,  it's a wonder there is any paint left.  It's been used as everything from a side table to a play table for the kids to run their dinky cars on... and it's been three years. 



















I wanted to give it a new look so I decided on a partial make over.  I painted the legs white.  Then I taped off the diamond on the top.  I just left the black distressed as it was and painted the diamond first with a base coat of DIY primer and then two coats of the white.



















Then used tracing paper to transfer the image I hand printed out.



















Using the tracing method gives you enough of an image but you can fix any missing lines when you paint it in by hand.



















A little distressing of the image and a coat of wax to protect it and I'm ready to use it again..



















Right now I'm using it a side table .
























It makes a great place to put a book or my coffee in the morning.


















This little table has so many uses, I think it will be around for a long time to come. 


No comments: