Thursday, November 20, 2014

Vintage Ladies Writing Desk

 
Isn't this little set absolutely adorable. 
 
 
I purchased this beautiful ladies desk at a yard sale and thought it was one of the nicest pieces I had come across since I started collecting projects.  Even with its terrible orange , yellow and brown flower   print seat,  and with one of the back cross pieces in the chair broken  it was a bargain at $20. 

I found a label on the bottom that said it was from a furniture place right here in Ontario in the early 1900's, and that made it even more appealing to me.

Normally with a piece of furniture of good quality I would try to refinish, but this one needed some wood filler and that doesn't take stain very well.  So I decided to paint.  This is the first piece of furniture I ever painted using my own mix of chalky paint.  I know everyone's recipe is a little different, but this is the one I use.  I can't remember where I found it but I googled it of course.
I mix 1/2 cup of Plaster of Paris into 1/2 cup of warm water. 
I add to this mix 1 + 1/2 cups of regular latex paint. 
I have found any brand of paint works but don't use the paint with primer combo. What I love about it?...it covers any surface and you don't need to sand and prime first.  yay



The desk and chair I painted 2 coats with this pretty blue I had on hand, and let it dry really well. Then I used a sand block to lightly distress the corners and edges, and where I thought it might wear naturally.  I just wanted to give it a pretty shabby chic look. Then I finished both pieces with a natural colour paste wax for furniture.  This rubs on over the chalky paint so easily and when almost dry it buffs to such a pretty shine.  As a protective finish this is very good.  I love it because if some time down the road your piece needs a touch up it is very easy to rewax and buff.


Then I had to tackle the awful dated seat. 



I looked for a small remnant that I could use ,this blue print was as close as I could find at the time.

Overall I like how it turned out, but I'm still not sure of the upholstery.  I might look for something a little different.  What do you think?

I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.

No comments: