Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Oh Canada

I don't usually do anything special in the way of decorating for Canada Day because I go to the family picnic that's held each year in our little town and catch up with ton's of family and friends I haven't seen for so long.  Some of them I get to see only once a year and this is the day.  That in itself makes it a very special day. 


This year I decided to make a couple of little tea light candle holders from mason jars.  They were really cute but didn't make much of a statement. 

I thought a flag would look good with them but a new one wouldn't blend with my style at all so I headed for my stash and picked out a really ugly old board that I had. I cut two lengths the size I needed and glued them together with some Gorilla glue.   Because they weren't a tight fit I filled the crack with a bit of wood filler. 



















I gathered together everything I thought I might need and primed the board. 



















I used my tracing method to get the maple leaf shape and hand painted my flag.  I hate the new look so I distressed a little, then protected it all with a coat of wax.



















I can't believe how much impact this little project has. I love the little hit of colour it gives my coffee bar area.





































I think it looks great, but now I might have to decorate this space for all the seasons and holidays or it will look a little blah.
















No comments: