Wednesday, June 10, 2015

One piece... Three Projects. -part one -Vintage Wash Stand

 Sometimes I come across pieces like this vintage looking wash stand. It had seen much better days, but it came with a basin and pitcher.
























Here it is after I started to dismantle the top .
See that little mirror.  It had my head spinning with  possibility.
It was missing a few pieces and was very wiggly. I tried  tightening it but could tell it wasn't going to be an easy fix, there was no way I was going to get it all back together in its original state.

























After I took it all apart and tightened the spindles the base piece was quite sturdy.



















I needed to fill the holes left by the spindles I had removed so I stuffed the holes with pieces of toothpicks and then smoothed over them with some wood filler and sanded a bit.



















A coat of DIY chalky paint used as a primer and a top coat of Benjamin Moore's "Lovely in Linen" for  a pretty country look.  
I absolutely love this colour.  Such a soft grey with a very subtle green undertone.
























It's now the perfect setting for the basin and pitcher that came with this piece.
























Both pieces have a wonderful winter scene.



















And both   pieces  are in excellent condition with not a single chip.
























I have different plans for the mirror and the spindles.  You'll have to check back latter to see what I do with them.

No comments: