Saturday, January 10, 2015

Chalk Boards for Staying Organized

Sometimes when you are thrift store shopping you will see items that are just so cheap that you know you need to add them to your junk stash.  This was what I made with just such an item.

 
 


























I was cruising for yard sales while on my way to my regular Saturday trip to the thrift store.  That's what I do on most Saturdays.  There was only one little sale and it didn't have much in the way of furniture pieces. I don't usually stop at those ones but I did this time and bought  a little stack of four trays. They were a pressed paper that kind of felt like wood and they were really tacky.  I bought them anyway....hey they were a dollar, what can I say.  I should have taken a better picture but they are on the table under the round bar trays.  On my way back from the thrift store there was another yard sale, right on my street.  That's where I bought the little desk and chair from this post.




















I feel horrible admitting this, but on the day I found these I missed a baby shower that I had planned on attending. I had the gift wrapped and ready, and I just plain forgot.  I felt horrible.  I really needed something to keep track of appointments and invitations.  I grabbed the four trays and using my DIY chalky paint... I used the blue because it was already mixed and left over from a little desk set...  and painted the trays blue.  It only takes about 20 minutes for this paint to dry so I taped off the center of each tray and gave them a couple coats of black chalky paint.



















Because these little trays where so light I hung them using a single command strip.


Above the little desk I had already done they make a perfect little command center.  I really shouldn't miss another baby shower, or any other event for that matter.  It's been a while since I completed this corner, but so far it's working for me. 

No comments: