Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Nesting? Not just for pregnant women.

I know that ladies purge, clean and nest when they are waiting to have a baby but we tend to do it at different times as well.  I am scheduled for a complete knee replacement in a couple of weeks and I have a real need to clean and purge before I go to hospital so that anyone who comes in after I get home doesn't have to see my mess.

Yesterday I started by working on my kitchen counters and coffee station.


This is what my cluttered counters looked like before.  Ewwww. Please don't judge me. Its a really tiny kitchen and I'm not the best at finding permanent homes for things so they tend to pile up.



















First I moved everything from the counters to the island top . I didn't think to take a picture of this but just imagine a pile about two feet high balanced and ready to fall over.

Then I just sprayed and scrubbed everything with my homemade all purpose cleaner.  This stuff busts grease like nobody's business.  I works on everything from the walls to the stainless sink.


















Then I started putting things back.   I purged as I went so some things got tossed and others found a new home, but it all got wiped down so it's nice and shiny.  I love how it looks now.






































I had to do the coffee station too while I was on a roll. Here is the before.























I moved everything once again to the island and gave the shelves and buffet and good wipe.
then put it all back nice and clean.























I made the tiles freehand because I couldn't find a stencil I liked for here.









































And the apothecary jars are just pickle jars and candlesticks. I love how they look and keep the tea bags, sugar and sweetener close at hand.  As you can see I have a thing for old rolling pins. A couple of those were from my grandmother and mom.

























The coffee pods are in the drawer right below the coffee maker.  I use these ones and I keep them filled and ready. I like that they come in two colours for dark roast and decaf.  You can find them at Canadian tire at this link.  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cafe-cup-0430480p.html#.VKrxWSx0zVI   The cost savings are great and I don't have a ton of pods to throw away,  I just buy some special coffee once in a while.  And besides I need to keep my grounds for the garden.




















I feel great now that it's all done.  I just have to keep it this way. Now when my friend comes to stay with me after I get home from hospital she'll have an easy time making a coffee.  Everything is handy and in a great spot.. Loving it

I guess my next job is the Fridge and bottom cupboards.  Don't know if I'm gonna get to that right away though.

No comments: