Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Coffee Table Facelift



 
I took this coffee table as a trade for a side table and mirror that I painted  last winter. 
 
 
 
 

It was nice and large, and it had one of those tops that lifted for occasional dining.    
 
 
 
 
However;  it had been used  by two little girls who loved to do their nails and crafts in front of the tv.  There were nail polish spills,  and water marks,  some marker and even a few scratches.  There was even a little piece of the veneer missing on one side. 
 
This great table needed a facelift.  I started by giving the whole thing a really good clean with some all purpose cleaner, and then a rinse with some water and vinegar.  
 
Then I mixed up a good sized batch of my DIY chalky paint in this great graphite colour.  It was a mis-tint that I picked up on sale so it didn't have an actual name, but graphite works for me.  Its the exact colour of pencil lead.  I kind of painted it backwards though. I really should have done the inside first.
 

I gave it two coats of chalky paint and then two more of a poly top coat.  In spite of the odd approach to the paint job I think it turned out quite nice.    It has since found its forever home with family looking for a table to use with a sectional sofa.  This one was the perfect fit.
 

It wasn't until after it was gone that I realized I hadn't taken a final picture.  I really have to start staging things for that final glam shot.  These pictures  really don't do it the justice it deserves.
 
 
 
I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.

No comments: