Monday, January 19, 2015

Laundry Mondays......Getting Control of your Laundry - part 3

So far we have addressed the sorting issues here in part one, and the washing is getting done on a regular schedule here in part two.  Now we just need to get it all dried and put away.

If you are staying home all day or just arriving home from work its all the same.  Move the load from the washer to the dryer as soon as you have a few minutes. That's all it takes , a few minutes. 
Then turn on your dryer and let it dry. 

Some people use dryer sheets, and some use softener in the washer.  I use my reusable DIY dryer sheets.
I also use dryer balls.  These handy little items are so easy to make and they are a real workhorse in your dryer.  You canput a few drops of your favorite essential oil on your dryer balls if you would like your laundry scented.  I like to do it when drying my towels.



















Drying clothes indoors is a big burden on the electric bill.  Using three dryer balls in your load helps with drying time.  I found that my clothes dry in about 2 thirds the time, thus saving me money.  Another perk is that they reduce wrinkles.  You can make your own, or purchase them.  They are just a tightly wound ball of wool that has been felted.  I will cover how to make them in another post.
























Once your clothes are dry, if you have the time, just fold them right out of the dryer. This is the best way, eliminating nearly all wrinkles and any need for ironing.

























More often than not this is the real scenario...Your clothes are dry, you heard the buzzer signaling the end of load a while ago but you were busy doing something else.  I hardly ever fold my clothes as soon as the buzzer sounds.  I end up doing the same thing every time no matter how good my intentions were.  I wait until all other chores are done for the day and then I go  and toss my dryer full of laundry into a basket.  I bring it to the TV room and fold while I'm watching.
















 Once it's all folded I put it back into the basket to deliver to it's final destination.  If you sort items by person when folding then it is easy to just put each person's pile on top of their dresser. Make it their chore to put their own clothes away. Better still just  get them to take their own pile,  to their own room.





















 You will want to put away for younger family members not able to do their own, There's nothing worse than rewashing items that weren't used,  so make sure it all gets in those drawers and closets. 


WOW
You Laundry is done, So lets do a recap.
-You've  set up a sorting station, and now your laundry is always sorted and ready for the wash. 
-You spent 5 minutes max to put a load in the washer in the morning. 
- You spent another 5 minutes max to move the clothes from the washer to the dryer.
- You spent about 20 minutes folding your laundry
- Another few minutes to put it away. 
If you can fit a half hour into your cleaning schedule you can stay on top of it, and unless you have a large family, you will find you don't need to do a load every single day.

This routine is just the one I follow and it works for me, you will need to figure out what works for you and your family.  However; If you get into the habit of following  a routine, even the largest family can have clean laundry on a regular basis and it does not become a daunting task that gets out of control.

















In the future I'll  share some of the really easy DIY recipes I use to make my own laundry supplies.   As you can see from this picture I'm out of the powdered detergent so I will make a batch soon and share it.   Talk about saving money, and it works great.



I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.

No comments: