Friday, November 21, 2014

Simple chalkboards

I always love when my grandkids come   to make something with me.  I feel like I'm passing the torch to a new generation. It's great when kids want to make their own things when they can just go buy them now.

Remember  tiled tray I did not to long ago. The tiles I used came from these boards that had nice smooth surface on the back and  a convenient handle too. They came from a décor store when the tile samples became outdated. And they were about 18" x 24" so a nice big surface to play with. I think tile companies change out their displays quite often to keep them current, so if you asked at your local store they might save some for you .


The girls always want to make chalkboards so of course a project was on.  
I didn't think to take pictures of the whole process because we were having a ton of fun,  plus treats and hot chocolate breaks and such.  After all it was just us girls.

All I did was pour out some DIY chalk board paint, (my same chalky recipe I always use mixed in a black paint) and  the girls painted  their own boards.  About 20 minutes drying time (insert snack here) and I used some painters tape to block  the border so they could paint   with their pick of my acrylic craters paint.  Then they painted inside the taped lines being ever so careful, and waited about 10 minutes and pulled off the tape.  In hindsight I think it would have been easier to leave it on a while so they could each decorate their own border stripe , but they did wonderfully any way.  Once they were completely dry, a few hours at least, I showed them how to prime their chalkboard by covering it with chalk completely and then rubbing it clean.. This fills in some of the rough areas and  prevents your board from being ruined by ghosting when you write on it.

I helped a bit with some of the lettering for the littlest one and for a bit of the cursive for the older girl ( she's not quite writing cursive yet but she's almost there) and when these two boards were done I had two very happy ladies. 


 
Congrats ladies on a job well done.  Now every time you use your board you can take a little moment to feel the pride of creating something of your own.
I hope you enjoy them for a long time because I will enjoy the memory of our day together making them. 
 
Here is the mix I use for my DIY Chalky Paint:
1 cup of latex or acrylic paint.  (do not use paint and primer in one)
1/3 cup of Plaster of Paris ( found at any hardware store)
1/3 cup of water.
Mix Plaster Of Paris and water, and then add to paint.  mix well.  I shake mine in the jar I mix it in
 
 
I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.

No comments: