Saturday, November 22, 2014

Baby Dresser

 
This dresser was a hot mess when I found it in the Thrift Store for $40. It had a beautiful waterfall front, but was  covered in scratches and scrapes and had grimy handles.  I wish I had taken a picture of the top.  You could tell it was used in a garage or workshop  for quite some time.
 
Even with all the mess,  I knew I had to rescue it and find it a good home.
 
 
I gave it a good cleaning with some TSP to remove any grease and grime.  Then it got a new paint job with a pretty green version of my own chalky paint.  There was no real damage on this piece, just a lot of wear and tear, so painting it was easy peasy
 
 
I painted the drawer fronts the same colour and even the back. (I'm not sure why I did the back but I was on a roll so it got done).

 
I couldn't find any new handles that were a nicer shape than these ones. I love how the curve mimics the waterfall shape on the front of the dresser. And they were a very heavy metal, so finding a set of the same quality would have cost a pretty penny.
You can tell from the ones on the left how absolutely grimy they were.  I scrubbed them really well with a paste I made of baking soda and peroxide to get the actual grease off them then I polished them by hand with a very fine sandpaper until they were smooth and had a satin like shine. By the time I was done they looked like  brushed brass.
 
 
 
I applied some clear paste wax to the dresser and drawer fronts and polished until I was happy with the finish. Then I used a sanding block to distress corners, edges and spots I thought would show natural wear.  I wanted this to have a bit of a shabby look. 
 
 
 
When I thought it had enough distressing,  I waxed it  one more time and added the hardware. 
 
Then  I was finished, but now I was madly in love with it, and didn't want to sell it. The dresser was the perfect height for a diaper changing station, so I knew it would make a great piece in a little girls room. Something that would carry her from baby to teen. 
 
 
 
Here's the dresser in it's forever home (the new owner sent me the picture) and I am so happy knowing this little girl will have this piece for years to come, and it didn't  end up hidden away in someone's garage.
 
 
 
 
I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.
 

 
 

No comments: