Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Custom Porch Sign

My brother in law just finished building his covered back porch.  It's a great little spot where all  the guy's like to hang out.  Kind of a man cave without the cave aspect.   It's on the north side of their house and surrounded by trees so it's always in the shade and will be  a cool refuge on hot summer days.  My husband came up with the idea to make a custom sign that said "The Place to be" as a porch warming gift.   After mulling it over for a while, this is what I came up with. 
























It's  a piece of plywood about 18" wide and 21" long.  It was left in the scrap pile at a construction site.  My man sometimes brings me cool things like that.  He's awesome.


























I painted one coat of DIY chalky paint and then used some copy paper to transfer the lettering and the Molson Canadian maple leaf logo onto the board. 



















After filling in the lettering with a fine paintbrush and black craft paint I painted the leaf.  Then I used a wet cloth to distress the corners quite heavily.  I wanted this to look like it had been sitting in a guys workshop for a while.  A few flicks of (accidentally) splattered red paint help the effect.
























I finished it with a coat of dark wax.  It's amazing how adding dark wax instantly takes away the just made look. 

I'm really happy with how it turned out and I'm sure it will look great on the man cave porch. 






No comments: