Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Antiques or just old stuff....it's all good

I had a board and it was like having money burning a hole in my pocket.  I had to do something with it.  I had a little of the Minwax Provincial stain I used for my coffee table makeover so I stained it.  Because the wood was really rough in spots and smooth in others  it took the stain kind of uneven.  I liked the way it looked though.


















While it was drying I browsed through a bunch of pinterest signs.  I didn't find anything I wanted to copy but I did get an idea.

I used my word pad to print out my lettering. Then I transferred it to the board by covering the back side of the paper with chalk and tracing over the letters on the front of the paper to leave the chalk print on the dark stain.  This transfer method is really easy and I like it for anything on a dark background. 

I filled in the lettering with some DIY chalky paint and a small artist brush.  The stain was a little bit tacky while I was painting and when the paint dried I found there was a  bit of bleed through.  It made the lettering look old so instead of another coat I just left it.  I didn't even distress this one because I loved it the way it looked.












 





















I love how the letters look weathered without distressing. What a happy accident.




















So what do you think.  Should I repaint the letters or leave it as is. 

No comments: