Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Wood plaque to Coat Hook

I really wish I had taken a before picture of these little coat hooks,  but as usual I got an idea, and jumped right in.
























I've been trying to de-clutter lately and I was sorting through a box of stuff that I hadn't been into for a long while and I found these little plaque trophies that my dear hubby had won playing horseshoes many years ago.  They were not really impressive trophies, just fun little wooden plaques with a little medallion and a metal plate stuck on with double sided tape.  I was about to throw them out when I had an idea to repurpose them instead.





















I removed the little medallions and engraved plates,  and sanded a tiny bit where the tape peeled some of the finish. 



















Then I gave them  two coats of DIY chalky paint made from some black acrylic paint I had in my stash.



















When  they were completely dry I used  red berry wine acrylic, about a tablespoon, watered down quite a bit and did a wash over the black. 



 















I left them to dry for a few hours.  Then I  did a bit of sanding to smooth the finish, and slightly distress them.  When I was happy with the blended colours I gave them a coat of dark paste wax to protect them and add that nice sheen you get with waxed paint finishes. 
























All I had to do then was add the hooks.  I already had a bunch of these brushed nickel coat hooks so of course I used what I had.  I think black ones would have looked nice too.
























I absolutely love the mahogany look of the finish, and the brushed nickel coat hooks.  These could be used in an entry for coats, or a bathroom for towels.  I wish I could keep them but I really don't have a place to use them, so off to my shop they will go to be sold. What would you use them for?


























I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.

No comments: