Monday, February 9, 2015

All Purpose liquid cleaner.

















Whenever I cleaned my house I used to cough, and my eyes would water and my skin would itch.  For hours after I was done I would feel like I had a cold, and I would have to use my inhalers to catch my breath.  I needed a DIY natural all purpose cleaner that I could use for everything.  Until this I had been trying to purchase as natural as possible but wasn't really happy with the results. The chemicals agents listed in the cleaning products you buy at the store are for the most part unpronouncable. And trying to look up what they are is next to impossible. I don't think they really want us to understand what we're using because if we did, we wouldn't. Besides, every time we use these cleaners, toxins are realeased into the air we are breathing in our homes. These toxins can contribute to a number of different things including -Breathing disorders -Skin irritations -Insomnia -Fatigue and Headaches to name a few. And the Natural cleaning products available are way too pricy and not all that "natural"
 I wanted a cleaner that would disinfect as well as clean. I wanted something that would work on greasy messes. I wanted something that could be diluted for a spray cleaner that would work great and smell nice, and I wanted something I could add full strength to a bucket of hot water and clean my floors with. I was looking for something that really worked with the least amount of elbow grease. Guess what? I think I have it ... something that works for everything. well almost everything, I don't use it on my laundry.





















I knew that I could clean with just the vinegar, but I wanted to add an extra kick to it. I used a jug of vinegar that was almost empty  and started stuffing it full with all my other ingredients. Once it was almost full I topped it up with more vinegar. 

















I  gave it a good shake and  put it under my kitchen sink. Then I forgot about it for a month.... well actually closer to two, because I really did forget about it. I wanted the vinegar to infuse with as much of the properties from the added ingredients as it possibly could.  When I use this I just strain what I need through a coffee filter and put the rest back under the sink.

















To use as a floor cleaner just add about half a cup to a gallon of hot water and mop as usual. So far this has worked great on my vinyl floors and the tile in the entry. 

To use this as an all purpose spray cleaner  pour into a spray bottle til its about 1/3 full and fill the rest of the way with water. Spray directly onto surfaces and wipe with a cloth. It works on all the surfaces in my kitchen and bathroom removing grimy messes and makes everything smell great. The vinegar smell evaporates quickly leaving behind the natural, pleasant scent of the other ingredients.

 I even clean my stove and exhaust fan with it, full strength on a cloth , and if there is a true test for a grease cutter it's your exhaust and the back of your stove. I love this stuff. I've been using it since last fall now, and my only regret is that I didn't make more because I'm going to run out before my thyme and sage are ready in the garden again. Oh well , this summer I'll make extra just to be safe.

Here's what I used and why I used it:

White vinegar.

 


















according to this article at http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/queen-of-green/faqs/cleaning/does-vinegar-kill-germs/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAgMKmBRDMjo_F9OfUubABEiQAp8Ky11Qr2H3qVi3JIGjM24FYRg1PbmDT-WHmGDu_Tdol3oAaAsoa8P8HAQ

Acetic acid or white vinegar is a great disinfectant. It also acts as a deodorizer and cuts grease.

And you can tackle household bacteria like salmonella, E. coli and other "gram-negative" bacteria with vinegar. Gram-negative bacteria can cause infections including pneumonia, bloodstream infections, wound or surgical site infections, and meningitis.
According to Canada's National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health, the acid in vinegar crosses the cell membrane of bacteria and prompts a release of protons, which causes the cell to die. 

Orange peels.



A study published in the 2013 issue of "International Journal of Biotechnology" found that orange oil inhibited the growth of various pathogens, including the bacteria Escherichia coli and the fungus Candida albicans.

Lemon peels.


 














Lemon peels in vinegar will cut grease and smell really great. Who doesn't love a lemon fresh just cleaned smell. And in several articles I read, lemon essential oil had minor microbial and anti fungal properties. Lemon is also a great whitener and works great removing stains from white counter tops. Try using a fresh cut lemon half on a stain.
Tip: Save lemon and orange peels in a bag in the freezer to use later.
 
Thyme



  Thymol is an oil extracted from Thyme leaves. The label on a cleaning product I saw recently in the store stated that it kills 99.9% of household germs, including cold and flu viruses. I couldn't find anything to corroborate this fact, but I did find that it  inhibits bacterial growth, is a  good antiseptic, helps keep away insects, and is antifungal.
 

Sage


















Sage has excellent antibacterial properties, and is an excellent natural disinfectant and deodorizer.
The thyme and sage came out of my garden. Whenever I have a choice I like to use what I can grow myself. This is part of the reason I choose these specific ingredients.

If you wanted to make your own you could use my recipe or you could make your own. I was thinking of adding a few drops of essential oils to my spray during cold and flu season for some extra kick. Maybe some euculyptus or tree tree oil. Try doing a little research of your own and see if the plants you have in your garden can be used to keep your home clean and healthy.  

On a more personal note, I have asthma and fibromyalgia, and since getting rid of the extra chemicals in my home, I have used less medication and had a great improvement in my overall health.  So think about what you are adding to your home when you clean. Are your cleaning supplies harming your air quality? and if so, your family's health?
 

No comments: