Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Favorite Morning Detox Drink

Let me start off by saying I am not a doctor and in no way is this post meant to be medical advice. It is just my own personal experience, and everyone should do their own research and discuss their particular symptoms with their own physician.
Since I was a child I have had Asthma.  About ten years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as well  and it comes with a ton of symptoms and seems to go hand in hand with arthritis, asthma, and some other nasty things like stomach problems caused no doubt by the amount of medication I have needed to take over the years for many different symptoms. More and more lately we hear about taking our own health into our own hands and not relying as much on perscription meds. No one should ever stop taking meds without first consulting their doctor, but we can do things like adding natural foods to our diet that are extra beneficial to our overall health.

About a year ago I decided I could use a good detox drink and started looking for something that could help my specific symptoms.  Pain and inflammation specifically.
I could have gone to the helath food store I guess and found a good detox drink but that seemed like I would just be adding one more thing to my system I didn't really know about, so I did a bit of reaserch instead. I kept coming across the same three things, over and over, that had a ton of benefits to promote overall good health. 























1-Raw Honey.

Note: Children under one year of age should never consume raw honey.

Raw honey has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties. It promotes body and digestive health, is a powerful antioxidant, strengthens the immune system, helps eliminate allergies, and is an excellent remedy for skin wounds and all types of infections.
Raw honey's benefits don't stop there. Raw honey can also stabilize blood pressure, balance sugar levels, relieve pain, calm nerves, and it has been used to treat ulcers. Raw honey is also an  expectorant and anti-inflammatory and has been known to effectively treat respiratory conditions such as bronchitis and asthma.

After finding claims to all of this on my search it isn't any wonder I decided I needed to add this to my daily routine.



 2 - Apple Cider Vinegar

Not just any apple cider vinegar but organic vinegar which contains the mother. This is very important because  pasteurization removes the good bacteria in the vinegar we don't want that. Look for "unpasturized and unfiltered" on the label.


I make my own now from apple peels and cores. I'll share how in a later post, but for now this is why it is such a good food supplement.
Apple cider vinegar has been lauded as one of the most beneficial health tonics available. Medical research backs many of the healing claims attributed to apple cider vinegar while research even suggests that apple cider vinegar is effective for treating such widespread conditions as diabetes and obesity.
ACV has been described as one of natures greatest tonics. Among it's  active ingredients are soluble fiber in the form of pectin, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin E, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, beta-carotene and lycopene. The compound also contains minerals such as sodium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, iron and magnesium.
It is believed that apple cider vinegar alters the very way the digestive and circulatory systems function in a positive way, making them more efficient.
Read all this info and more here:http://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/acvinegar.html
 

3- Lemon Juice

We've all heard about the benefits of Lemon water as a detox but there is so much more to this little fruit. I love adding a squeeze of it to my water, but why not add it to my daily tonic as well. Here's a link to 16 reasons why we should drink lemon water: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/16-health-benefits-of-lemons.html/1
























Armed with all this information I decided I would  start my day with a drink that I could make myself.  I triple the ingredients in a small jar and shake it up well so it is easy and convenient when I go to mix it with the water.

1 tbsp.  of my homemade Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp.  Lemon Juice
1 tbsp. of  unpasteurized  Honey.


 Mix into a small glass of warm water and drink. 

I   repeat this drink up to a couple of times a day when I'm home, especially during cold and flu season.   

What I've found since I started doing this about a year ago is that I have reduced the amount of prescription meds I am taking for both asthma and arthritis, and have felt better for it.  I don't take as many pain meds either, and anyone with Fibro knows it involves dealing with a lot of pain. I don't think this is a miracle tonic or anything , but by adding these three things to my diet and being careful what I eat and staying away from things I know are over processed, I really believe there has been and improvement in my overall health.

So take charge of your own health.  Do the research yourself and talk to your doctor openly.  Do what you need to do to feel better.  It's well worth it.     




I'd love to hear from you.
Please leave a comment and tell me
what you think of todays post.

 
 

No comments: