Monday, April 27, 2015

Pantry from Cheap Sears Bookshelves Part 2

A while back Ages ago I started a project to create a pantry space near my small kitchen to help supplement the tiny amount of cupboard space I have. You might remember it if you've been following along, if not you can find Pantry from old Sears bookshelves Part one here.

Well let me tell you what happened.  I got the shelves stacked together and being in desperate need they ended getting filled up with pantry stuff. Then winter hit hard,  I went into hospital and had a total knee replacement done,  I was busy recovering and doing my physiotherapy.... And .... time just flew by..  

Spring has finally arrived, the snow has melted and it's getting warmer every day. I'm walking without a limp and am happily getting back in the swing of things.  ...those ugly bookshelves are full of stuff and staring at me like I completely forgot about them.  I keep staring right back, but I've finally realized  I cannot live with the guilt of an unfinished project any longer.  Something needed to be done.

I was babysitting a little fellow but he had just gone down for a nap, so I knew I had approximately 1 hour.   I immediately dug the hinges I had purchased for this  project out of the bottom of the junk drawer (they were at the very bottom) and brought in the shutters I was going to use from my stash. 


























The shutters had been separated for a previous use so I re-attached them using hinges in the middle and then I hung the shutters to the shelves using the same style of hinges.  Nothing fancy just little 2" hinges from the hardware store.  The doors were an exact fit side to side but not top to bottom.. I left the bottom up a bit so give it good clearance and I will have to find a solution for the top.
























Then I added a couple of magnetic latches on the inside to keep the doors shut. 























About this time the little fellow I was looking after woke up from his nap.... so I guess part two of this project is done..



So I don't really have a lot more accomplished,  and you will definitely have to stay tuned to see what else I have  planed next.  At least the shelves are covered and  I promise not to wait three months before I get to part three. 


No comments: