Friday, April 10, 2015

Kitty cat storage.



















I absolutely love my kitty.  What I didn't love was the big bag of dry cat food sitting on the floor of the closet.  It inevitably gets  spilled and I was tired of cleaning up the mess.  The simplest solution of course is to pour the bag of food into a bucket with a lid.  I couldn't just have a plain bucket of course so I had to paint it.




















I put about 2 tbsp. of plaster of paris into a little bowl and mixed it to a paste with a tablespoon of water. To the paste I added about 1/4 cup of regular acrylic craft paint. 
























I used a sand block to gently rough up the surface a we bit and then painted the bucket.  I left the upper part of the bucket white because I figured it get too much handling to not chip and start looking.... well .. ugly.  Going to the ridge gave it a nice clean line.
























When the paint had dried for about an hour I used a piece of dowel to "write" on the bucket. What it actually did was remove the paint to let the plastic show through. I wouldn't have been able to do this once the paint had cured for a few days. I could have used chalk or white paint to label it then.  This chalky paint  is pretty durable on the plastic..

There are some really great  paints out there that are great for using on plastic, like the Fusion spray paint,  if you would like to use them, but for me it's all about saving money and using what I have on hand. 
It's been over a week now and I am very happy with how well the DIY chalky paint holds up.  I'll be using it to make a few more of these buckets to solve some small storage problems.

No comments: