Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Redneck Mousetrap.

I hate mice.  I hate finding mouse droppings,  I hate how they chew and destroy things they get into, and I hate just knowing they are in the house... OK so I think you've got the picture.   If you feel like I do and don't like traps because lets face it.. they're yucky to empty, this is the post is for you.
This trap setup will be ready for whenever those sneaky little rodents find their way into your home. And the best part is that it can catch more than one in a night.


















In our neck of the woods it has felt like fall for a week or more already.  I've had this mouse trap set up for a few weeks now, and the other night I caught three of those nasty little rodents.  That's right.. three mice, one trap.   At my house the best spot seems to be under the kitchen sink.  No matter how hard we try to fill all the little spaces where they might be getting in with steel wool,  they just seem to find another way.
I think this set up.  would work great  in a garage too.


















To make your own  drill two small holes across from each other  near the top rim of a plastic bucket.
Use a piece of wire to suspend a soda can over the bucket.  I just used wire coat hanger. Spread peanut butter over the outside of the can.  You will need a board or something they can use as a ramp to climb to the top of the bucket.  Put about 6 inches of water in the bottom of the bucket.


















From the rim they jump to the can and when it spins they fall into the bucket.  The next morning you just need to dump the bucket and add more water.  Check once in a while to make sure your trap doesn't need more bait peanut butter, and the water level is ok, but other than that this trap only needs tending when something is in it.  And the best part is that it's always set even if you have already caught something.


















 A few years ago my wonderful KC kitty would have taken care of this problem as she used to be a wonderful mouser, but she's getting up there in years and doesn't get around as well as she used to.  She is at the point in her life where she just needs to be pampered by her adoring housemates.


















Tip:  For many cottage owners the mouse problem is a serious one.  It's not nice arriving on opening weekend to find your vacation home has been taken over by rodents.  I think this trap could be used all winter if you replaced the water in the bucket with anti-freeze.

No comments: