Thursday, August 6, 2015

Furniture polish

 I have been using this  soft wax formula for a few years now on all my wood furniture and I think it is really amazing.  It shines and protects like nothing else I've used and it is so very simple.  I found the original recipe here  and tweaked it a tiny bit.

















In a glass bowl that has a lid combine 3 parts  oil,  (I use an inexpensive olive oil, but any oil will do)   and 1 part grated beeswax.
Warm in 30 second intervals in the microwave just until the wax is melted.


















Let it cool for a few minutes and add about 5 drops of lemon essential oil.


















Stir a few times while it is cooling and store it in a glass jar at room temperature. I just toss in the cloth so I can reuse it.


















See how dull my table is in this before picture.  Just put a bit of the mix on a soft rag, apply to furniture and polish. Don't be afraid to really work it in. This protects the  wood   and has a nice lemony smell.

I deliberately did half of the table top so you could see the difference.




















Here is the table top, completely done, with its beautiful soft sheen.  
You only need to use this wax about once a month to keep the wood hydrated and it withstands lots of wiping with a damp cloth.  I do mine a little more often just because I like how it looks and it's so easy.
The bonus to using this wax instead of a store bought version....I never have to worry about the kids putting stuff on the table and in their mouths.  Or just licking the table (we are talking about kids after all).  And it is completely safe if they happen to get into it.

I  never have to buy furniture polish again.

No comments: