Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Hand Saniitizer

Wow... It's already August and cold and flu season is just around the corner.  We do our best to stay healthy.  We get the flu shot, we wash our hands every chance we get and we use hand sanitizer when we can't, but when we're out of the house sometimes hand sanitizer is our only choice.

Here's a DIY option that has some real kick in the germ fighting arena.  It actually takes longer to write about it than to make it.




















Recipe:
1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol
1/4 cup of witch hazel
1/8 cup of aloe gel.  (I used mine straight from the plant)
1 teaspoon of vegetable glycerin
1/2 teaspoon of vitamin E oil (optional)
40 drops of essential oils
(I used these)
10 drops of Lemon EO
10 drops of Clove EO
10 drops of Eucalyptus EO
10 drops of Cinnamon EO
I've added the links so you can see why I used these particular essential oils but you could use a combination of any you like that have good anti-septic and anti-bacterial qualities. I always recommend you do your own research.  The links are to a site I use for all kinds of essential oil and herb information.

I add all the ingredients to a small spray bottle and keep it in my purse for the duration of flu season.  This means pretty much all of the fall and winter.

I use the same recipe for a room   spray during this time as well. I just add a cup of distilled water and 10 drops of Tea Tree EO   to the mix.
This spray used like a room freshener (think Fabreeze)  helps during those times when it feels like everyone in the house has some kind of bug.  But don't wait until that happens.  Start using it as soon as the weather changes and you have to close up your house for the season.

Lets all do our best to stay healthy this year but if the worst happens and you do come down with something,  remember,  please stay home and rest until you feel better and don't share with your friends and co-workers.


No comments: