Thursday, July 2, 2015

Wax Paper Transfers

I've been wanting to try using wax paper to transfer an image to a project for some time now.  There are many tutorials out there for this method so I read three or four different ones and the consensus is that it is a really simple method and requires no expensive tools other than your computer and printer.

Some of the instructions said to attach your wax paper to a normal sheet of printer paper and others said it wasn't necessary.  I tried it both ways and they both worked but it is much simpler to just cut your wax paper to the right size and use it on its own. I stood right at the printer in case it jammed but it went through just fine.  Remember to print using a mirror image if you have text or everything will be backwards when you transfer it and also to print on the side of your paper that has the waxy surface. This is what you are going to rub onto your surface.



















The first one I tried was this grocery sign because it was an easy project, and if it didn't turn out, all I had to do was paint over it.  This is a fairly rough piece of wood and it still transferred really well.
At first I thought it was a little on the light side but the print darkened considerably when I added the wax finish.

Since the "grocery" sign worked so well I decided I wanted to try it again to make sure I had it right.  I love serving trays and wanted to make one with a farmhouse vibe.  I chose a nice long board and painted it this pretty "Queen Anne's Lace" colour I've been using for my basic white. And printed a Milk and Cream Co. onto my waxed paper.



















I had two door handles in my stash.  I taped off the white enamel on the handles but painted the ugly 70's gold over with black spray paint. These handles attached from the back and I wanted to screw them in directly so I used a metal bit and pre-drilled some holes.  If you do this be sure to paint your screws too.



















I painted the grain sack stripe down the side of the board allowing me to place my image off center.



















I taped my wax paper image and using a plastic measuring spoon  rubbed the image onto my board.



















I sanded a bit over the stripes and  it's ready for some finishing touches.  I used a  coat of finishing wax to protect the surface and added the handles.  Then I turn it over and added little felt dots to the corners.  This protects any surface you sit your tray on and also prevents it from sliding around on your counter etc.



















Anyone for iced tea?





































Now that I know how easy this transfer method is I will definitely being using it for more projects.  There are so many free graphics to use and you could also use it to transfer script as well.  Way easier than trying to free hand everything.

No comments: